Jump to content

Colorado blizzard strands thousands


Recommended Posts

Colorado blizzard strands thousands


DENVER - Stranded travelers lined up at ticket counters at snowbound Denver International Airport on Thursday, hoping to get out of town amid a powerful snowstorm that paralyzed Colorado's biggest cities with up to 2 feet of snow.



The news wasn't comforting: While some flight updates still said "on time," airport spokesman Steve Snyder said the runways likely wouldn't open before noon Friday.


The airport crews simply can't keep up with the falling and drifting snow, Snyder said. They plow the runways, but within 30 minutes, the tarmacs are covered again.


"It feels like I'm a refugee," said Lisa Maurer, a University of Wyoming student who was stuck at the Denver airport as she tried to make her way home to Germany. Some 4,700 people hunkered down with her overnight after all flights there were canceled — more than 1,000 of them Wednesday and Thursday morning alone.


Outside, Denver's streets were empty, and long stretches of highway in the eastern Colorado were so impassable, even the mail couldn't get through. Bus and light rail service in a six-county region was suspended.


Cathy Stuart, 44, a sales representative from Dallas, spent the night on the airport's stone floor after her flight home was canceled.


"I don't feel bad, but I just want to get out of here," she said.


More than 30 inches of snow fell in the Colorado mountains, and up to 2 feet fell in the Denver metro area Wednesday and early Thursday. A snowstorm also dumped up to 18 inches on New Mexico, icing roads and closing schools, and the

National Weather Service warned that another storm was taking aim at the New Mexico Friday night.


Heavy snow also fell on southeastern Wyoming on Wednesday closing interstate highways, stranding travelers and sending government workers home early in Cheyenne.


The amount of snow was hard to measure because it wasn't evenly distributed. "We have drifts up to 6 feet high in some locations, and in other areas, it is completely dry on the asphalt and concrete," said Mike Sowko, a forecaster with the National Weather Service in Cheyenne.


In Denver, Colorado Springs and other cities along the Rocky Mountain Front Range, workers slipped and slid their way home on Wednesday and stayed there, leaving the cities virtual ghost towns Thursday, typically a busy shopping day. A few pedestrians trudging down the middle of unplowed streets as the snow continued.


Three more inches of wind-whipped snow was expected Thursday before tapering off in the afternoon. Parts of Nebraska and Kansas were also getting snow and ice, but farther east, warmer temperatures meant even Chicago was only forecast to get heavy rain as the storm moved through.


In Colorado's socked-in eastern half, few travelers were going anywhere.


The Colorado Springs airport reopened and some airlines were flying, but getting there was nearly impossible.


Gov. Bill Owens declared a state of emergency and activated the National Guard, which assisted dozens of motorists on the highways around Denver and delivered diapers, formula and bottled water to Denver's airport.


Long stretches of Interstates 70 and 25, the main east-west and north-south routes through the Mountain West, were closed. Interstate 76 was closed from Denver to Nebraska.


Police in the Denver suburb of Broomfield rescued nearly 100 people who had been stranded in cars along U.S. 36, the main route between Denver and Boulder.


National Guard and sheriff's deputies rescued about 50 people overnight from snowbound vehicles in Weld County, where up to 22 inches of snow fell. About 18 others were still stuck in their cars Thursday morning, said Weld County emergency management director Roy Rudisill.


At least 270 people took refuge at

American Red Cross shelters in the Denver area and the number was expected to rise as motorists arrived by the busload early Thursday, said Robert Thompson, spokesman for the Mile High chapter.


"It's just amazing how many people are still out there," he said.


The Red Cross provided 140 cots for nearly 350 people stranded at a Greyhound bus station in downtown Denver, Thompson said.


Weather Service program manager Byron Louis said it was the most powerful storm to hit Colorado since March 2003, when a massive blizzard dumped up to 11 feet of snow in the mountains over several days and was blamed for at least six deaths.


Major malls closed early Wednesday. One, Flatirons Crossing Mall in Broomfield, northwest of Denver, offered warmth for motorists stranded along U.S. 36, the major link between Denver and Boulder.


Mail service was canceled in the eastern half of the state because mail carriers and trucks delivering mail four days before Christmas couldn't get through.


"We don't want to take the risk of clogging up the system just by being out there," said Al DeSarro, a U.S. Postal Service spokesman in Denver. "We're considering delivering on Sunday to make up for what's sure to be a backlog of mail."


At Denver International Airport, a major hub for United Airlines, United canceled more than 670 inbound flights, plus 160 that had been scheduled leave before noon Thursday. Frontier Airlines canceled up to 190 flights.


"It's the wind and blowing and drifting snow that is causing the main problems," Snyder said.


Some airport monitors tantalized travelers by listing "on time" beside arrivals and departures, but Snyder said that was probably caused by a computer glitch.


"I'm just happy to be alive. It was a terrifying drive," Sara Kelton said of the two-hour crawl over slick, snow-clogged roads to reach the airport.


Thirteen hours after Alan Barr left his Denver office for a bus ride home to Boulder, he was stuck at a Red Cross shelter in Denver, not much closer to home than when he left. His bus had set out from Denver hours late, then had to turn back.


Barr trudged into the shelter shortly after midnight with other discouraged riders but said he had not given up on the bus system.


"Days like today are an exception," he said. "I believe in public transportation."


Commuters on several buses had similar experiences, said Scott Reed, spokesman for the Regional Transportation District: "It was absolute gridlock."


Public transit service was not expected to resume until late Thursday at the earliest.


"It was comical for a while," said bus rider Matt Notter of Boulder. "Then we realized, this is an all-night thing."






Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...